Thursday, December 31, 2009

My Polish is still not good enough...

I'd like to share a short, hopefully entertaining, story about how my roommate Paige and I tried to order pizza.

See, we were hungry but lacked motivation to go out and get food. So what's the American way? For someone to bring food to us. Feeling ambitious and quite brave, Paige called a pizza delivery service. In this brief conversation of Poleng (polish and english) she successfully ordered a pizza.... or so we thought. Two hours later... still no pizza.

Not feeling brave or ambitious, but rather under Paige's influence and guilt tripping I called back. We were planning on ordering a new pizza, under a new number, because trying to locate our original order was a lost a cause. So, when someone answered the phone, I did my best to order in Polish. What was the result? They hung up on me.

Distraught and starving, we were running out of options. Brave the cold? Call a different pizza place? Finally, after serious damage to our self-esteem, our friend Salma called. Mind you, she lives on the other side of the city. When she called, they kindly put someone on the phone who spoke english. Clearly, pizza places hate me and Paige.

An hour later well more like 3 hours later, the pizza arrived. We gave the delivery guy a 5 zloty tip. He was beyond grateful. Oh kind sir, if you only knew.

Suffice it to say, we devoured our pizza. I think it was delicious?


On a completely different note...

Szczęśliwego Nowego Roku! Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment