Monday, April 26, 2010

Do Lublina!

This weekend my friend Caroline and I traveled to Lublin and Kazimierz Dolny. Our weekend consisted of warm, beautiful weather, and great people. Lublin is a small city, but should not be underestimated. The old town is small, with intricate cobblestone alleys that make for great walks. The main attraction is the castle, which holds true historical value. What I found most interesting was the use of the castle as a prison, especially during WWII.
Of course, when going to Lublin one should tour Majdanek Concentration Camp. It was a moving experience. The history of the Holocaust never ceases to amaze me. Located just outside the city, there is a museum and other exhibitions dedicated to the history of the camp. While I was there, it was quite desolate. The eeriness was emphasized by the lack of other tourists, intensifying the overall experience.
Our Sunday was spent in Kazimierz Dolny, a small town located about an hour away from Lublin. Its quite popular in the summer time for families to vacation. Romanian gypsy women wander around the small square, claiming they can predict your future and con you into giving them money, or just steal it somehow. I was not impressed. Their predictions and observations were quite obvious. "Oh.. I can see travel in your future." Yea no kidding, I'm a tourist.

I apologize for the lack of recent posts, however, I have plans for future posts. I will also being traveling to other Polish cities and towns within the next month. Hey, I guess the gypsy was right!

No comments:

Post a Comment