Monday, March 15, 2010

Semester Goals

I have a habit of setting goals for myself and then to not follow through with them. So in order to prevent this habit from haunting my life in Poland, I plan to share some of my goals with you. I'm hoping because it is in writing, I will accomplish what I set out to do this semester. You can hold me to it and guilt trip me at the end of my stay here in Poland if I fail to live up to my own expectations (although I hope this won't happen).

Goal 1: Review everyday for at least an hour. The hour will focus on what I learned that day. If I take a little time everyday to review, my Polish (I hope) will improve. I tend to put it off until the weekend, which becomes overwhelming when I shuffle through worksheets and written notes, trying to remember what I couldn't understand. This goal seems rather obvious, but distractions live on every inch of this city.

Goal 2: Explore and find at least three different cafes a week. Krakow is full of little cafes hidden in alley ways and small streets. Kazimierz (a part of the city, my favorite actually) is brimming with cafes. It is impossible to walk down any street and not pass at least four.

Goal 3: Travel more. This does not just pertain to huge trips around Poland, but also includes day trips to small towns around Krakow. I have yet to visit Czestochowa, a problem I hope to remedy in the near future.

Goal 4: Read more. I'm attached to my computer. Its an outlet for frustration and the easiest way connect to friends and family. It is also how I keep up to date with current events in America. Really glad I don't own a Toyota by the way. However, I know I can accomplish what I need to do on the computer in a designated time span everyday. It is not necessary for me to check my email 600 times a day (I wish I were that important). I want to spend my recreational time reading, not surfing. The first time I lived in Poland I think I read 6 or 7 books, no great feat, but I have yet to read that many to date. This time I plan on reading more than that. I don't have a set number yet, but when I figure it out I'll be happy to share. This being said I am open to suggested readings. Keep in mind I live in Poland and my resources are limited. One of my favorite places is Massolit, an English Used/New bookstore. Their selection is extensive, but its not a Barnes & Noble.

On a side note, Goal 2 & 4 are in full swing already. Current book of choice: Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. I've been moody lately, really moody and Jane Austen is the best literary pick-me-up. Cafe of the day: Cheder Cafe. Located in Kazimierz it is a cafe with a small library. Extra plus is the no smoking policy! It is hard to find cafes that are non-smoking, so my lungs especially love Cheder Cafe.

These goals are not extreme. They are not impossible. I promise to keep you, my dedicated readers, up to date with my progress.

1 comment:

  1. You're right! Goals are tough, even small ones about studying. And if people haven't thought about how they're going to get there, they'll get lost somewhere in the middle. I think it's important to be on a plan of some sort. And, it's important to start NOW! Don't procrastinate. I've developed a method of Prayer, Practice, & Patience that always works.

    Pray - God's wisdom and guidance
    Practice - What I pray for - Get's me Closer
    Patience - Wait patiently while I practice for God's blessing.

    Works every time

    ReplyDelete