Monday, March 22, 2010

Peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers....

Learning Polish is a challenge. Period. Grammar is difficult. You try mastering the 17 different ways to say the number 2 (actually, I think there is more than 17). However, the biggest challenge I face with learning Polish is pronunciation. Shocking. Because it should be easy to say a word where four letters in a row are "szcz" like Pszczyna or Szczecin. Or to say "Konstantynopolitanczykowianeczka" which is apparently one the longest words in Polish meaning "a little girl from Constantinople." Basically my days consist of spitting all over my worksheets.

Last week my professor thought it would be entertaining to teach us Polish tongue twisters. As if learning Polish isn't a tongue twister all on its own. Needless to say, I epically failed. Seriously though, if these tongue twisters are difficult for native Poles, then there is clearly no hope for me. Below are some tongue twisters. I'm not even going to attempt to spell them out phonetically. Enjoy. Class was pretty entertaining that day.

Zaszeleściły szuwary, szary świt przepłoszył drzemiące stadko srebrno-rdzawych kuropatw.

Król Karol kupił królowej Karolinie korale koloru koralowego.

W Szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie.

No comments:

Post a Comment